Review: The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter


EVERY GIRL WHO HAS TAKEN THE TEST HAS DIED.

NOW IT'S KATE'S TURN.

It's always been just Kate and her mom--and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear that her mother won't live past the fall.

Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld--and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.

Kate is sure he's crazy--until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she suceeds, she'll become Henry's future bride and a goddess.

IF SHE FAILS...


Review:
<>
</>

I entered The Goddess Test thinking I would probably end up hating it--or at least finding it kind of boring. Surprisingly, I found it the opposite. While I wouldn't call The Goddess Test a novel that blew my mind, it easily kept me up past my bedtime when I said I would read "just one more chapter".

The aspect I liked most about The Goddess Test was probably Kate. Although I found her "zen" moments, to borrow the words from Rose Hathaway, to be out of character, she wasn't a pain to read. Her moments of growth are fairly obvious as she turns from depressed-voice Kate whose mother is dying to fighting for life Kate who realises there's a lot more out there on offer.

I didn't entirely mind the tweaks of Greek mythology. Although I did find the name changes to be hard to follow. Some names (once they were revealed) were obvious to follow and others were just completely random to me.

Although, I have to admit that I was expecting the tests to be a little more... say, physical. I guess the blurb gave me that impression. However, despite the fact the tests were based on the seven deadly sins (which I thought was kinda impressive and interesting), I didn't find it to be all that boring.

The Goddess Test was a nice surprise, considering I was expecting it to be horrible. It was just right for me to read it without thinking too hard.

(One last thing. I don't believe that Henry, Hades, is a virgin for over a thousand years. That's one thing that probably could have been done without).



Review: 4 stars
Date Published: April 19th 2011
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Source: Bought

Format: ebook
Date Read: April 2012
Page Count: 293
Series/Stand Alone: First in trilogy.

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I really loved this one but I thought book two was even better! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nicola :) I really can't wait to get to book two. But there's so many other books I really wanna read! Haha. Tough decision.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, you there, yes you ;)

Thanks for commenting! This is seriously awesome and I promise to try my hardest to get back to you, so do check back if you had a question or something to discuss!

Sadly, this is an award free blog. I really, really appreciate the thought and offer but with grade twelve and other activities as well as blogging, I don't really have all the spare time in the world. But thank you so much for the thought!

Seriously, though. Check back because I love to reply to comments ;)

Ellen.

 

Total Pageviews