Review: Everneath by Brodi Ashton


Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath. Now she's returned--to her old life, her family, her boyfriend--before she's banished back to the underworld . . . this time forever. She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these precious months forgetting the Everneath and trying to reconnect with her boyfriend, Jack, the person most devastated by her disappearance--and the one person she loves more than anything. But there's just one problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who enticed her to the Everneath in the first place, has followed Nikki home. Cole wants to take over the throne in the underworld and is convinced Nikki is the key to making it happen. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back, this time as his queen.

As Nikki's time on the Surface draws to a close and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she is forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's queen.

Review:
I seriously have no idea why it took me this long to get around to reading Everneath. It's one of those books where I think 'Yeah, it seems good. I'll get around to it.' I read other books then by the time I finally get to this book, I realise it blows other books.
Seriously. It blows.

Ashton has twisted Greek mythology and created something unique. Something that hasn't been done before or isn't a variation of something that's been done before, while managing to stay in the Greek trend for when this was published. I loved it.

I'm not usually a huge fan of Greek mythology novels, but Everneath feels that new and unique that I didn't really notice. It focuses more on Persephone and a side to the Underworld. You don't have to be a Greek geek to understand it.

From page one, I can safely say I loved all characters. Nikki is so strong and doesn't give up, but has her head grounded in reality and knows what she wants and what she'll have to do or give up to get it. And I really appreciate that in a character. That understanding creates maturity and I can respect her.

Jack and Cole are both lovable characters. The debate on the love triangle is a bit wishy washy because Nikki knows who she wants (not spoiling anything here). Both guys are three dimensional, showing anger, hurt, happiness and maybe even a pinch of psycho. 

The tension is high as Nikki counts down her time on Earth. She has six months to decide between going to the tunnels (which needs some fleshing out, but it's basically eternal pain) or become an Everliving and feed off human emotions to survive. 

Ashton has created such a fantastic adventure in Everneath. The only upside to not reading this sooner is that for me there's less of a wait until its sequel Everbound!

Review: 5 stars
Date Published: January 24th 2012

Source: Bought
Format: ebook
Date Read: November 2012
Page Count: 370
Series/Stand Alone: Everneath #1



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, you there, yes you ;)

Thanks for commenting! This is seriously awesome and I promise to try my hardest to get back to you, so do check back if you had a question or something to discuss!

Sadly, this is an award free blog. I really, really appreciate the thought and offer but with grade twelve and other activities as well as blogging, I don't really have all the spare time in the world. But thank you so much for the thought!

Seriously, though. Check back because I love to reply to comments ;)

Ellen.

 

Total Pageviews