Review: Insurgent by Veronica Roth




One choice can transform you--or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves--and herself--while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.

Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable--and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.











Review:


I absolutely loved Divergent. I thought the characters were strong, the world was amazing (from what we'd seen of it) and it was fresh. I did only give it 4.5 stars, but that was because I felt the romance was a little bit lacking. 


Here's the thing with sequels though. If the first one is spectacular, then the chance of a flop is pretty high because you build expectations. That also happens when you read it straight before its release date. I've waited a few months for the crazy hype to die down before I read it and I think that allows me to have a more open mind.



In Divergent, I found Tris to be compelling. She moves from a faction all about selflessness to a faction that is about danger and living on the edge. The consequences of the Dauntless training when put into effect (AKA, shooting and killing people) is highlighted in Insurgent as Tris experiences the guilt of having to kill a friend in a life and death battle. Look, I'm not faulting Roth here, but seriously, Tris? The majority of the books angst came from Tris's inability to move on. I understand the emotional effect shooting someone would have on you, but the stakes here are raised and sometimes you've just gotta get passed things. And Tris, you took forever and it wasn't fun to read.



And then we enter Tobias. I loved Tobias in Insurgent simply because he didn't put up with Tris's crap. He called her out on it and made her realise that her determination to be self-sacrificing was stupid and not even a sacrifice. 



One thing I have to yet comment on however is Roth's pacing. Insurgent, to me, felt like it was a little too long. However just at the moment that I'm getting a little bit bored of politics, something happens. Then I'm hooked, we go back to politics, I get bored, and something happens. It was a never ending process which eventually did get tiring to sit through.



And then the last page came. I gasped, flipped it over, and bam is the acknowledgements page. 


description


The cliffhanger was a nasty one, Roth. But it works because it will make me come back for more yet again.





Review: 4.5 stars 
Date Published: May 1st 2012 
Publisher: HarperTeen
Date Read: January 2013 
Source: Gifted 
Format: Paperback 
Series/Stand Alone: Divergent #2




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, you there, yes you ;)

Thanks for commenting! This is seriously awesome and I promise to try my hardest to get back to you, so do check back if you had a question or something to discuss!

Sadly, this is an award free blog. I really, really appreciate the thought and offer but with grade twelve and other activities as well as blogging, I don't really have all the spare time in the world. But thank you so much for the thought!

Seriously, though. Check back because I love to reply to comments ;)

Ellen.

 

Total Pageviews