Review: Personal Demons by Lisa Desrochers




Frannie Cavanaugh is a good Catholic girl with a bit of a wicked streak. She has spent years keeping everyone at a distance---even her closest friends---and it seems as if her senior year is going to be more of the same . . . until Luc Cain enrolls in her class. No one knows where he came from, but Frannie can’t seem to stay away from him. 

What she doesn’t know is that Luc is on a mission. He’s been sent from Hell itself to claim Frannie’s soul. It should be easy---all he has to do is get her to sin, and Luc is as tempting as they come. Frannie doesn’t stand a chance. But he has to work fast, because if the infernals are after her, the celestials can’t be far behind. And sure enough, it’s not long before the angel Gabriel shows up, willing to do anything to keep Luc from getting what he came for. It isn’t long before they find themselves fighting for more than just Frannie’s soul.

But if Luc fails, there will be Hell to pay . . . for all of them.




Review:


I have been wanting to read this series for a very long time. It sounds amazing and despite the half-hearted reviews, some people absolutely rave about it getting better.

However, while I did enjoy Personal Demons, there were a few problems.

#1) Dual POV's.

I have no problem with multiple POV, but in Personal Demons you switch back for forth between Luc and Frannie multiple times in one chapter. In fact, the two POV changed will occur in the exact same scene! It reads like a Fanfiction at that point and it got really confusing and I constantly had to flick back to remember who's POV I was in because neither of them have different voices.

#2) The fawning.

In the beginning, the fawning over Frannie between Gabe and Luc was interesting because they used their heaven and hell influence over her so they could "tag" her for either side. However, once Frannie knew about everything, they still fawned over her. And she completely loved going back and forth between them!

#3) Insta love.

I've spoken about this in many YA reviews, but just no. The romance here was developed way too quickly and it could have been developed over the trilogy. I think that would have been best.

Lastly, her name. I'm sorry. But I strongly dislike the name Frannie. I would pick a random random name and go by that instead. Because Francis is her middle name because all of her sisters, her included, are named Mary.

...

Yeah.

Despite these few issues, Personal Demons was a quick and steamy read. I'm not sure whether I'd continue with the series but it didn't make me want to bash it over the head.

Rating: 3.5 stars
Series: Personal Demons #1



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, you there, yes you ;)

Thanks for commenting! This is seriously awesome and I promise to try my hardest to get back to you, so do check back if you had a question or something to discuss!

Sadly, this is an award free blog. I really, really appreciate the thought and offer but with grade twelve and other activities as well as blogging, I don't really have all the spare time in the world. But thank you so much for the thought!

Seriously, though. Check back because I love to reply to comments ;)

Ellen.

 

Total Pageviews